Friday, February 1, 2013

Things That Worry Me Which Probably Shouldn't

I'm worried that someday I might need knee surgery.
   It's not that I'm worried I might have complications during surgery, or that the surgeon might operate on the wrong knee, or even that insurance might not cover the procedure.  All that stuff usually takes care of itself.
   I'm worried that they'll have to shave my leg.
   See, I've got reasonably hairy legs, not as densely forested as some I've seen, but definitely not smooth as a baby's bottom either.  The nurses would need to prep the knee area, meaning scrub and shave it.  And only that area, enough to get the surgery done and no more.
   I can't abide asymmetry, and a ring of hairless skin around my knee with hair above and below would drive me bonkers.  I'd need to shave my entire leg, from big toe all the way up.  And since having only one leg shaved is also asymmetrical, I'd need to shave the other one to match.
   You can see where this is going.  If I have shaved legs but not shaved arms that's also out of balance, so I'd need to take a razor to my forearms.  Same thing then with my chest, stomach, back, and... bikini area.  It wouldn't stop until I'd shaved my entire body from the neck down.  I'd have to become as hairless as one of the pretty young boys Tom Cruise keeps locked in his basement, all because I'd had knee surgery.
   Even worse, it would probably get very itchy as it all grew out.  So I'd be tempted to keep up the manscaping.  I'd go broke buying razors.  Or buying Nair, all that hair's got to go somehow.
  Then, of course, there are the plumber bills after I have to call them out every few weeks to unclog the shower drain...  Just better for everyone if I give knee surgery a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment