Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Book A Week - Two Week Hiatus

I always wanted to be 'on hiatus.'

I was away for a week, and then recovering from being away for another week.  But now I'm rested up and ready to resume my 'book a week' yearlong experience.

 I was in New York, the Big Apple, the city so nice they named it twice, and to fill time and space I thought I'd share a few random thoughts.  In no particular order:
  •   It's not a stereotype, Newark really does smell funny.  And not 'ha-ha' funny, more like 'chemical accident that creates a super-villain' funny.
  •   Also not a stereotype, Midtown Manhattan still smells like tinkle.  Not as strongly as it did last time I was there, but it didn't not smell like tinkle either.
  •   Pizza crust really is better in NYC.  Sorry, Chicago.
  •   Believe it or not, at least one person drives a Maserati on New York city streets.  Seems like a pointless risk to me, but then again I can't afford a Maserati so what the Hell do I know?
  •   I saw almost no cyclists using the new bike lanes they put in since the last time I was there, but I did see a lot of people using the new medians as parking spots.  At least someone benefits.
  •   New Jersey Transit workers were all very nice.  Seriously.  I didn't have a bad interaction with a single one.  I was kind of expecting a staff of Tony Sopranos.
  •    Deli clerks seem to have problems making change.  At least four times I had to give them back money.  Because that's how I roll.
  •    Tourists all wearing the same bright yellow shirt look like a line of ducks crossing the street.  I know the same shirt makes it easier to keep everyone together, but did it have to be yellow?
  •   When I looked out the windows at the tall buildings, I really did kind of expect Spider-Man to go swinging by.  And I was disappointed when it never happened.
 Next week:
  Gone Girl  by Gillian Flynn
   People in the know tell me this is a book I must read, it's the author's breakout and a great, well-written story.  I don't know.  I'm having better luck with stuff I find on my own.  You know what your mother used to say instead of an outright 'no?'  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment