Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Book A Week In 2013

I wish I could claim this as my own idea, but I didn't make this one up.  I did, however, jump on the bandwagon as soon as I heard about it.  Like I did parachute pants back in 1984.
   I'm going to try to read a book a week in 2013.
   Yup, a book a week.  That's 52 books, for those of you with weak calendar skills.  52 books.  That's a lot.  I own a lot of books, and I read a lot of stuff that's not books, but, man... 52 books is a lot of books no matter how you slice it.
   Well... how do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  So I need to get a list together.  I think of necessity I'll need to branch out from my regular reading habits, because, let's face it, even the best Harlequin novels get a little formulaic after 12 or 13 of them.
  I figure I'll buy a few books, but I'll probably go to the library for most, there's a branch just down the street.  With a playground!  It's not creepy for a single guy with no kids to hang out at a library playground, is it?  Nah, didn't think so.
   But what to get?  I think I'll start by re-reading a few that I haven't in a while.  Fiction.  Like 'The Hobbit.'  I have not read that since... my junior year in high school?  Something like that.  And I'll need to read 'Fahrenheit 451' again too.  There's a non-fiction 'Rise of the Greeks' that I haven't read in 20 years.  Maybe 'Cosmos' although I don't think I could get through that in a week.
   But there has to be new stuff too.  Lots of new stuff.  New to me, at least.  Guess I need to see what's hot on the lists these days.
   Suggestions?  I'd love to hear what people who are not me are reading these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment