Monday, June 27, 2011

I Need A Theme Song

I was watching Guys and Dolls last night, the movie version with Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando. Yes, I own a copy, you got a problem with that? I didn't think so...
   Anyway... Sinatra sings most every song in the movie, EXCEPT for the one he's probably most recognized for. In the movie Brando sings 'Luck Be A Lady' not Sinatra. Yes, Brando sings, and evidently he really did, they say that's his voice on the soundtrack. But, aside from 'New York, New York' that song, 'Luck Be A Lady' is what most people know Sinatra for, especially with the Baise orchestra backing him. It's kind of his theme song. Whenever I think of this song I think of Sinatra, and whenever I think of Sinatra I think of this song.
   I need a musical score like that. You know, something iconic, something that ties me to it and it to me down through the ages. Something that could accompany me as I make my rounds in the salons, imparting my bon mots to a mildly amused intelligentsia.
   So I thought it through and came up with a few suggestions. I went through a few iterations before I found the perfect one.

Some Kind of Wonderful, Grand Funk Railroad.
   Hold on, this is about a girl... maybe not. Besides, who remembers the Railroad except hippie burnouts? Well, and me.

Been Caught Stealing, Jane's Addiction
   Except I haven't been caught. Not that I steal. That any of you people know of. Don't need to call attention to that. So that one's out.

Free For All, Ted Nugent
   Uh... while I might be The Nuge where it counts, deep inside - and the tune is definitely catchy - I think people might get the wrong idea if they heard this whenever I was around. Or maybe too much of the right idea. Keep looking.

Nobody Home, Pink Floyd
   Quite possibly my favorite Floyd tune. But it's about a guy slowly going crazy as his wife cheats on him. Mebbe not just yet for this one.

Sex Machine, James Brown
   Nah, hits too close to home and sounds more like an advertisement or testimonial. Or bragging. Try again.

If I Should Fall From Grace With God, The Pogues
   And... we have a winner. A jaunty Irish tune that's filled with macabre imagery sung by a man who got kicked out of an Irish band for drinking too much. Yup, that's right. He was too drunk for an Irish band.

So now you can all imagine that song following me wherever I go. The grocery store, the gas station, the gym, the office. You know, everywhere a reel performed by an inveterate lush is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment