Thursday, February 16, 2012

Here Come The Judge...

So I was driving to work this morning, stupid early, and there was something on the radio about the Supreme Court. I don't remember the context, it may have been just a passing mention. It did, however, spark something in me. Hands gripped tight to the steering wheel I loudly proclaimed:
   'Here come the judge, here come the judge, order in the court 'cause here come the judge.'
   Now, let's put this in context. I barely remember this line. It's from Laugh In, which, if I recall properly, went off the air before I started kindergarten. It's from another time, my parents' time, and yet there I was, spouting off a catchphrase like it was 1971 all over again and people hadn't grown completely jaded with catchphrases.*
   Why am I appropriating pop culture from a time when I couldn't even tie my own shoes? I have no idea. None. I'm pretty sure most people who were around to see Laugh In on broadcast TV - three channels, no waiting, plus PBS - don't even say 'here come the judge' any more. Who would? And why?
   I'll just chalk it up to my synapses firing randomly and bringing up associations that would have made sense to Nixon when he said 'sock it to me.'
   Crap. Just did it again.

* where's the beef?

No comments:

Post a Comment