Sunday, May 27, 2012

'At's Me Mojo...

For a very long time as I was growing up and then as a young adult, I had the kind of trusting face that allowed perfect strangers to assume I would buy stolen things.  I've been offered stereo equipment, a clarinet, tools, cars, steaks (the meat kind), dogs, mail, credit cards, even a Ditch Witch.  Seriously, a dude once offered to sell me a Ditch Witch for $100.  I told him if he could get it up to my third floor dorm room I'd give him the hundred bucks.  But then, for the past few years, I haven't really been offered any stolen stuff.  I guess I look more like a cop now than a customer.
  But that's changing.  I think I got me mojo back...
  Today at the gym, as I was walking in, a woman approached me.  Now whenever a stranger comes up to you in a parking lot it's never a good thing.  Usually they want to stab you, or to give you their pamphlet explaining how the world's going to end in a few days.  Not this lady.
  "Excuse me, sir, but I lost my keys, and since you have a Tahoe I was wondering if you could see if your key would work?"
  Time was car manufacturers did only make a few versions of a key - like the 1960's Mustangs.  But I drive a 99 Tahoe, I was standing right next to it.  There's more than ten versions of that key.
  "So you want me to try to get into a car that's not mine?  That's burglary, right?"
  This seemed to give the woman pause.  She thought about it for a moment.
  "Never mind."
  Now, it could be that she was sincere, that she'd lost her keys or locked them in the truck or whatever.  But why would you approach a complete stranger in a parking lot and ask them to use their key to unlock your truck?  Has that ever worked?  I smelled a scam.  It sounded like someone wanted to indulge in a little early-Sunday larceny and I looked like just the sort of guy to help make that happen.  I looked like the kind of guy who would help someone steal stuff.
   Ahh... it's good to be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment