Monday, January 18, 2010

Goons And Henchmen

Why is it that only bad guys can have goons and henchmen? When mafiosi and Nazis and third-world dictators have a few people around who like them and are willing to do what they say without question, those people get the title henchmen. When somebody in charge needs something done, the person they send to do the job gets called a goon. But, in an odd twist of terminology, when the person in charge is not a crime lord, dictator, or cult leader, their faithful are called supporters or followers.
   I don't know about you, but I'd rather have henchmen. A few guys to go around and do stuff that I need done. Like wash my truck or do the dishes or get the dry cleaning. I don't have much dry cleaning done now, but I assure you if I had henchmen to do my bidding I'd take pants and shirts there more often. I'd have goons only when I've earned them.
   Which makes me think, does a CEO of a corporation have goons or supporters? What about the least-drunk hobo in the railroad car, henchmen or followers? Those self-help gurus on PBS? I'm guessing they have goons, you don't make PBS money and only have henchmen.
   And what about the henchmen and goons themselves? They're people too, husbands with families who've taken to gooning to put food on the table. From everything I've seen, heard, and read, goons and henchmen don't really get benefits. No 401K for them, no term life package, no health insurance where they can see a doctor in-plan for a $10 co-pay. They're contractors, and not even W-2 contractors, they're 1099 contractors, responsible for all their own stuff. Nobody's got their back. Who's fighting the good fight for them? Who does things for them when things need doing? Who henchmens the henchmen?
   I think I've found a new Hollywood charity. Please, won't somebody think of the goons?

No comments:

Post a Comment