Thursday, February 25, 2010

So... I'm Supposed To Drink That?

A plumber came to the building today. To do exactly what I don't know, but he had to turn off the water to the entire building to do it. No biggie, it usually happens when they work on the shared water lines for the entire building. It's always fun clearing the lines when they turn the water back on, it spits and sputters and the toilets (or terlits, if you're Archie Bunker) pop and bang and rattle. Like a little haunted house. I got that today, and a little more besides.
   The water ran brown. And not a deep, rich, earthy brown, more like a tan-ish dookie brown, ocher and unappetizing.
   The building is old enough that sediment in the lines is unavoidable, but this was above and beyond. And it just ran and ran and ran. I had to flush the terlits a few times to get the water to run clear. This alarmed me, of course, so I went online and took a look at the Pasadena water quality reports. And, yes, that is totally an old man thing to do, I don't need you to remind me of it.
   Not to be alarmist, but the official report for 2008 lists potential contaminants such as microbes, pesticides, organic chemicals, and... drumroll.... radioactive stuff. And I'm supposed to drink this, do laundry with it, cook with it, and make my rubber duckies pretend to be battleships in it.
   I was spoiled growing up, I lived in San Antonio, which has a large, tasty supply of water in a limestone aquifer that filters rainwater so completely they have to do almost nothing to it to make it suitable for consumption. The worst thing I had to worry about was cleaning the bathroom because the water was so hard (all that limestone, you know). But it wasn't radioactive. Or doo-doo brown.
   I already have a water filter pitcher that I use, now I guess I have to figure out how to make that work for every other water line in my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment