Thursday, February 11, 2010

Uneasy Dreams

Have you ever eaten something really spicy or really rich and then you have some freaky sort of dream that night? Seems common enough, and it happens to me from time to time.
   But I gotta tell you, if I start pondering imponderables just before bed, or in bed... look out.
   So, last night I was laying in bed and I started thinking about stuff. The kind of stuff I think about - I've discovered over the years - is not necessarily what other people think about. Specifically, I was thinking about two things, bent time again and the nature of sub-atomic particles. I still haven't figured out what bent time is, but I'm working on it, and the imprecise nature of our models of sub-atomic particles has always bothered me, since high school. For instance, if you measure an electron one way it acts like a particle, but if you measure it another way it acts like a wave. What does that really mean? At the very least it means an electron is neither a particle nor a wave but another thing entirely. But what is that other thing?
   Anyhoo... after about half an hour of thinking this stuff over I fell asleep, only to have some of the freakiest dreams ever. I don't remember them really, they're kind of hazy and indistinct, but I do remember waking up thinking 'what the hell is wrong with me? Why am I dreaming this stuff?' The only part I remember specifically is when I was dreaming about the curvature of space-time (so sue me, I'm weird), and I thought that I probably shouldn't go too much farther down the line of reasoning I was following, because I might think myself out of existence. How's that for seriously f'ed-up dreaming?
   I think I'm on to something, though. My mind wouldn't shut me down unless I was pretty close to some kind of revelation. So if I suddenly cease to exist you'll know that I figured out something big. Unless my ceasing to exist is retroactive along the curvature of space-time, and nobody remembers that I ever was here... aw, crap, it's gonna be a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment