Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Things That Worry Me Which Probably Shouldn't

Sometimes I worry that I might get hit by a meteor. And not because I'm afraid I'll get a white-hot piece of space rock embedded in my skull, I'm just worried that getting hit by a meteor will completely blow my chances of winning the lottery.
   See, the odds of actually getting hit by a meteor - or is it meteorite? - are vanishingly small. But not zero. It could happen. So, let's say that the odds are 1 in 10 trillion. Pretty long odds, but stranger things have happened to me.
   The odds of winning the Mega Millions drawing are about 1 in 175 million. That's six orders of magnitude less than 10 trillion. It's waaaaay more probable that I would win the lottery. Which does give me hope.
   If you think about it, though, as uncommon as it is to win the lottery, it's far, far, far, far more uncommon to win the lottery TWICE. And that's what would happen if I got hit my a meteor and then also won the lottery. Just not gonna happen.
   This is why I keep my eyes on the skies. If I see a streak of flaming debris headed my way, I'm going to jump aside. Because they don't give you money for getting hit by rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment