Saturday, February 6, 2010

What's Wrong With Being Weird?

I've noticed a trend lately - and maybe it's just because I'm home during the day during my time 'between assignments' - but it seems that everybody needs a diagnosis nowadays.
   You get kids with ADD or ADHD or anxiety disorder or OCD, you have celebrities with sex addiction, people with detachment disorders, maladjusted loners have Asperger's syndrome, fat people have eating disorders... I mean, seriously, it's getting so that people who don't have some sort of medical condition explaining their behavior are in the minority.
   What the hell? Back in the day, when I was a kid, we had the fat kid (yes, me), the angry kid, the sneaky kid, the hyper kid, the sissy kid, the smart kid, and the artsy kid. None of us had or needed a diagnosis, we were all cool with who we were and what others expected of us. And if the angry kid suddenly decided he loved animals and stopped being angry, well, we just accepted it. If the fat kid stopped eating so much and lost weight, well, he wasn't fat kid any more. No biggie.
   Our behavior was something we did, not something we were. Which meant that we were responsible for how we acted, we didn't have an excuse to point to: 'Oh, I have a detachment disorder, that's why I hit people with rulers.' No way, no how could we get away with that. And the weird kid was just the weird kid, he didn't have autism or a personality disorder or a metabolic defect. He didn't need an explanation and we didn't want one.
   I think this business about giving everybody a diagnosis is the worst sort of communism, because it assumes not only is there a middle ground for what is acceptable behavior, but that everyone should strive to meet that middle ground. Which is bullshit of the worst kind. I wasn't there, I don't know for sure, but I can guarantee you Albert Einstein was the weird kid in his school. So was Picasso, and Leonardo, and for sure Hemingway who was also probably the sissy kid. If any of these men - or any of the iconoclast high achievers during all of human history - had parents who looked for a diagnosis and then for drugs to 'fix' their weird kids, where would our society be?
   Enough already. Let kids be kids, stop pumping them full of drugs, and hold them responsible for their behavior. They'll rise to your expectations.
   Just keep them off my lawn...

No comments:

Post a Comment