Sunday, March 20, 2011

Another Last

You know what really sucks about moving? It's not the packing, or the changing addresses on everything, or dealing with the phone company and power company. It's not even dealing with the moving company, which has been relatively pain-free so far.
   The closer you get to moving day, the more every activity becomes 'the last time' you're going to do that thing.
   I recently trained for the last time with my long-time trainer. And I shared a meal for the last time with some guys I've known since my very first day here in SoCal. And soon I'll have had the very last fencing lesson with my friend and coach. Not long after that I'll have the very last fencing class and I'll say good-bye to people who have become almost a surrogate family.
   I'll soon have the last visit to Trader Joe's, and the last Wednesday at my comic book store, and the last time I'll buy lotto tickets and gasoline at the same place where I buy cigarrettes for a homeless guy.
   I know change is inevitable, and I know that ultimately moving will be good for me. But that doesn't make this any easier. Soon I'll lock my apartment door for the last time, and I'll drive down Lake Avenue for the last time, and I'll get on the 210 for the last time, and then I'll be out of Pasadena, out of Los Angeles, out of California.
   Wow. I don't know how to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment