Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why Does Mickey Wear Shoes?

I was in the bookstore today, in the cartoon section, naturally, and I heard a little kid ask this question:
   'Why does Mickey wear shoes?'
   Seems straightforward enough, and it's an honest question. You could respond with 'why does he wear shorts?' or 'why isn't Minnie wearing a top?' or 'why isn't Donald wearing pants?' It's just the way it is, would be my answer. Cartoon mice wear shoes, cartoon ducks don't. Union rules. Whatever.
   But this kid's mother didn't take the easy, rhetorical way out. She came up with an answer that impressed me. 'Because mice have to match their shoes with their gloves.'
   And there you have it. Mickey wears shoes because he's wearing gloves. And why is he wearing gloves? Because he's wearing shoes, of course. Nicely circular, and eliminates all the pesky follow-ups.
   I'm guessing this wasn't her first child.

No comments:

Post a Comment