Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fixing The Elevator

They're going to fix the elevator in my building.
   Yes, FINALLY.
   It's been almost a year since it last worked. I went back to Texas on December 18th last year, and when I got back on the 30th the elevator didn't go up or down any more.
   The landlady put a sign on it that says something like 'down for maintenance' or some similar lie, which the elevator repairman said was good enough to keep the inspectors at bay. It was supposed to get fixed in April, then again in September, but neither happened, and I trudged up the stairs from the garage every day. Kind of grew used to it, to tell you the truth. But I wasn't happy about it.
   How she got around ADA* compliance is beyond me, there is absolutely no way into the building that doesn't involve stairs, so if we had any residents in wheelchairs they would have been stuck down in the garage since December of last year. I imagine they'd have set up a tent city or something, a subterranean lair they could lurk in while they waited for the elevator be repaired 'any day now.'
   Someone complained - not me, really - and the city or the State came calling. Seems it really isn't okay to leave a 'down for maintenance' sign on an elevator for months while you have absolutely no intention of fixing it. Who knew?
   So now it's under repair, and will be for several more weeks. I can't wait. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, actually, when it's working again. I don't even remember what the inside looks like. Maybe it's like a palace, with fountains and marble stairs and wandering peacocks.
   I can only dream...


* Americans with Disabilities Act - passed, let us remember in 1991, almost 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment