Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jeez... Already?

I was walking back from the gym this morning, minding my own business, when I saw it. Then I saw another one, and another, and another, multiplying like bored bunnies. They were lining Colorado Boulevard, as far as the eye could see.
   Christmas wreaths. Green and gold and red, hanging from the recently-repainted and then repainted-again and then repainted-one-last-time street lights.
   It happens every year now but it still takes me by surprise. It's not even Thanksgiving and already the Christmas stuff is out. Time was, back in the good old days - when the US proudly interfered with other countries instead of shamefully like we do now - the first weeks of November were for Thanksgiving stuff. Kids made cardboard turkeys from the outline of their hands, they dressed like pilgrims for the school play, they made papier-mache cornucopias (and people knew what a cornucopia was), and they for sure didn't have access to Christmas stuff. You didn't even see red, green, and gold until the day after Thanksgiving. Not no more. Christmas is already everywhere, it's even hanging behind the palm trees on Colorado Boulevard.
   Actually, I saw Christmas crap in Target weeks before Halloween, so I don't know why the wreaths on Colorado bothered me so much. Probably because I can choose to ignore it in Target, or even not go into Target, but out on the street I can't help but see it. Every day.
   How much time do I have before the Santas with their red kettles and really loud bells are everywhere?

1 comment:

  1. I think stores should have one living symbol for all the major holidays. Like an Easter Bunny body and big, floppy ears with a jack-o-lantern face wearing a red, santa suit and a beard with large, turkey feathers coming out of his backside. He could just work from October through April.

    ReplyDelete