Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tales From My Past - Sock-Eye Jeep

Do you ever think that someone is picking on you? And I don't mean the kid down the street or the bully who hangs out behind the school, I mean someone in charge of stuff, who can make things happen. A powerful guy who can do things. Bad things. And he's got it in for you. I love conspiracy theories like that, but I'm only half-amused by them, the other half is worried they might be real, because sometimes freaky stuff happens you can't explain any other way. Like back when I used to drive a Jeep.
   Years ago, when I first bought my Jeep, I had been driving it for about a week when I caught a rock that cracked a headlight and made it go dim, so it looked kind of brown. Being a proud owner of a 'new' used car, I replaced it. About a week later I caught a rock in the other headlight, which knocked it out completely. So I replaced it, glad to have two brand new eyes for my ride.
   About a week later I caught a rock back in the first headlight, which did exactly the same thing, cracked it and made it go dim. A little freaked out, I started watching my rear-view, wondering if someone was following me. I decided that maybe I wasn't supposed to have two working headlights for some reason, and I didn't replace it. It passed the safety inspection somehow, and I had that dim light for two more years.
   Let me repeat that. After breaking three headlights in the space of three weeks right after I bought the Jeep, for two whole years after that, as I drove that Jeep every day, I didn't get hit by one single rock. Not one. I had the dim headlight and all was right with the world.
   Two years after breaking a headlight for the third time I got industrious and decided to finally, finally, finally replace that damn headlight. So I did, a brand new headlight to replace the cracked one that had condensation inside. You can see this coming a mile away...
   A week later - to the day - I caught another rock that cracked the other headlight. I couldn't believe it, two years with no rock, I fix the damn headlight and CRACK! the other one is gone.
   This is why I only halfway discount conspiracy theories. Someone was obviously out to get me that time. Or at least out to get my Jeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment