Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sinatra and Shatner

During my time 'between assignments' I have a lot of time to think. I try to use this time wisely, pondering the larger questions of our existence, making the effort to tease the secrets of the universe out of our daily struggles. I made just such a breakthrough last night, when I realized that, for years now, William Shatner has been doing a Frank Sinatra impression.
   As I've written about previously, I recently rediscovered classic Star Trek, the one with the red, yellow, and blue velour shirts, the one with the hippy 60's vibe. The one that became a star vehicle for William Shatner. I noticed that on the show he wasn't quite Shatner, though. That is, he wasn't nearly the hammy parody of himself that he generally plays now. Which I thought was interesting but then didn't think any more of.
   Fast forward to last night, when I happened upon a PBS special featuring Frank Sinatra. The special was filmed in Carnegie Hall in 1980 (jeez, that's 30 years ago) and had never been seen before. As I watched Sinatra go through his Reprise hits, entertaining a concert hall full of jaded New Yorkers I finally saw it. Shatner's gestures are Sinatra's. His phrasing is Sinatra's. His knowing smirk is Sinatra's. Shatner has spent the last half of his acting career imitating Frank Sinatra. And getting away with it.
   During one of the PBS breaks to beg for money - which they do constantly now - a biographer noted that with his singing Sinatra intended to imitate Tommy Dorsey's trombone playing - lots of sustain, fluid, semi-classical legato of phrasing, no break between two lines of the lyric. So that means Shatner is also imitating a trombone. Which explains a lot.
   I'm calling you out, Shatner. I know your secret and I've just spilled the beans. Now, in the twilight of your years, you can go back to being a real actor. The ball is in your court.

One last thing: 'Send in the Clowns' sung by Sinatra isn't schmaltzy and horrible, it's sad and poignant. It makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment