Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Another One Bites The Dust

A good friend of mine moved from Los Angeles today. She got a job in Santa Barbara, just up the 101, because jobs are few and far between here in LA. Last week we had a farewell lunch at Canter's Deli, partly because it was close to my job and her house, and partly because it's a very LA kind of place, a local landmark, which makes it appropriate for that occasion. We're both kind of* disillusioned with corporate life and looking for something different, even though we're locked into the paycheck economy along with most of the rest of America.
   Today was her moving day, and I called her at lunch to say good-bye and wish her luck and all the things that you're supposed to do when a friend leaves and you're not certain you're ever going to see them again. And I got a little weepy. Afterwards, I mean, when I hung up. Marna was one of the first friends I made out here, I've known her in all her peregrinations, from Venice to Pasadena to West Hollywood to another part of West Hollywood. Her dog Tex was the calm Buddha center of her universe for two years, and now he's gone and just a few weeks later she's gone. Jeez… I'm tearing up a little bit just writing this now.
   Endings are hard. I've had a lot of endings in the past year and a half, and I'm getting pretty damn sick of it. I know change is inevitable, and for the most part change is good, but that doesn't make it easier to take. I'm tired of the introspection needed to process change, I'm tired of the emotional toll it takes, I'm tired of thinking I'm doing okay only to find that with the slightest provocation I'm really just a raw nerve after all.
   But most of all I'm tired of saying good-bye to family, friends and beloved pets.
   So I'm calling off change. You heard me, no more change unless you get written permission from me beforehand. If you want to move away you have to run it by me, and I may not approve the request. If you're thinking about growing up and moving on, think again. If you're considering a change in careers I'll probably sign off on that, as long as it doesn't involve you moving to Alaska or something. And if you're for some reason thinking about dying, then you just put those plans on hold, no one's going to be taking the Big Sleep any more, not without my say-so.

Got it? Good…


* by 'kind of' I mean 'extremely'

No comments:

Post a Comment