Sunday, September 5, 2010

Let's Think About This

Here's a good topic for a lazy Sunday. Get your thinking caps on.
   Does omnipotence necessitate omniscience?
   If you think about it the other way around, just knowing everything (omniscience) does not in any way mean you have power over everything (omnipotence). Just like me knowing how photosynthesis works doesn't mean I can make it happen. Or to take it a step further, if Santa knows if you've been bad or good that doesn't mean that he's in any position to influence your choice between the two. If he were so inclined, which I presume he is not.
   However - if you're omnipotent, all-powerful with both the ability and the desire to manipulate the universe to suit yourself, does that mean you'd need to be omniscient to make your omnipotence work? How could you influence sub-atomic reactions if you didn't know everything about them before they happened? Or if you wanted to make galaxies collide, could you do that without a thorough understanding of celestial mechanics? And if you wanted to make two people fall in love... well, that would be a pretty tall order.
   You could say that I don't need to know everything about friction, resistance, force, mass and acceleration to throw a football, but, actually, I kind of do. It might be better to say that I don't need to know how my circulatory system works to have my heart keep beating. But if you're going to take that kind of approach to omnipotence - that being all-powerful doesn't mean you know about every little thing you have power over - doesn't that imply that you're not all-powerful? My heart beats no matter what I have to say about it, which means, de facto, I do not control it.
   So what's the big deal? This has theological implications, not the least of which is the concept of free will. If you accept the idea of an omnipotent God, and if you further suppose that omnipotence necessitates omniscience, does that mean God not only knows everything you're going to do, but has used his omnipotence to ensure you do it? Where's free will then? What's to keep me from robbing, stealing, and murdering all I want if some bearded guy in the clouds not only already knows about it, but has actually ordained that I do so.
   Got your mind twisted up enough yet? And you thought this was going to be something funny, didn't you?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Can you share some of that stuff you're smoking today?

    ReplyDelete