Monday, January 31, 2011

Analyze This

I woke up from a dream last night and I wrote it down, which I used to do a lot but got out of the habit of. This one was odd enough that I think I need some help. I don't know if the imagery means anything or if it means nothing.
   I wrote this in the dark, half-asleep, so there is a section where I couldn't decipher my handwriting. Make up your own words to go in there, like a Mad Lib.

I was in Monument Valley, where Krazy Kat was set, and where John Ford did a lot of his westerns, with all the sandstone bluffs and wind-carved rock formations. Everything was red and ochre, like the sun was setting. I sat alone by a campfire, roasting marshmallows.
   Pretty tame so far. Could be right out of a Travel Channel show. Then the kangaroo showed up. He was a normal kangaroo except for the boxing gloves and monocle. Well, he talked too. For some reason he wanted my marshmallow and I wouldn't give it to him or share the rest of the bag. So he threatened me and said he'd be back with friends.
   So I packed up what little I had and got into my Volkswagen Microbus and made my escape. The bus was littered with fast food wrappers, piled feet deep from front to back, which whipped out the windows as I fled the kangaroo.
   Then I was in a city, for some reason I thought it was Philadelphia even though I've never been to Philadelphia. I parked the Microbus in front of a ballet studio and ran inside, convinced the kangaroo was in hot pursuit.
   I gave a little kid my marshmallow on a stick, but then realized the kangaroo would probably hurt him so I took it back. Which made the little kid cry. His mother came out of ballet class and started yelling at me. So I ran from her.
   Then it gets weird. Instead of Philadephia I was in Rome, where I have been before, except this was future-Rome, with moving sidewalks and Jetsons cars. I ran through St. Peter's Square where people were playing soccer. I interrupted the game and deflated the soccer ball somehow, which made them all run after me.
   An old man hid me from the mob, which included the ballet mom and the kangaroo. He told me he was Leonardo and that he was immortal (this I probably got from Star Trek) and needed my help to...
   [this is the part I can't read, I think it says 'steal' scribble scribble scribble, although 'steal' could be 'strike' or 'stomp' or something. All I know is the word starts with an 's']
   He said his secret lab was in Monument Valley, and I told him I was just there. He asked if I was the one who left the campfire going and burned everything down.
   Then I woke up.

Not the most surreal dream I've ever had, but I didn't much care for the threatening kangaroo for some reason. And, being an Eagle Scout the part where I left the campfire going doesn't please me either. The most disturbing part, though, was the Volkswagen Microbus; I'm no hippy, dammit, I would never drive one of those, and I don't eat in my cars, let alone leave fast food wrappers everywhere like a big fat slob.
   What does it all mean? I need some help here.

No comments:

Post a Comment