Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Face Me

I've been dreaming faces lately.
   Normally I dream situations, like a surreal sitcom in my head or some kind of action/adventure vignette. For instance, I remember a creepy twilight town that looked like a 50's film noir set where the backgrounds are half-lit and the pavement is always wet, or a cartoon desert like the one Wile E. Coyote chases the Roadrunner through, or a wind-swept promontory as a thunderstorm approaches. Sure, there are people in these dreams, but I only recognize them as archetypes, or as representations of friends or family or celebrities. There aren't really any faces, at least not stark, immediate, foreign faces.
   But now... if I'm in that twilight between sleeping and waking, either falling asleep or waking up, I'll see faces. No situation, the setting is a hazy gray nowhere, but the faces are all over. Little kids and old people and everything in between. Nothing but faces. No talking, no events, just people coming up to me and looking me in the eye. No one I recognize either, no family, no celebrities. And it's never the same face twice.
   Kind of creepy, huh? Makes me wonder what's going on in my head that I see this kind of thing. Or maybe I dream this all the time and it's only now that I'm remembering it? And if that's the case, why do I not have recognizable faces in my other dreams, and why am I only remembering these faces now?
   Or... maybe when I'm in that half-sleep state I'm open to the netherworld, and the faces I see don't come from my imagination... maybe they're visitations from beyond, the departed trying to make themselves understood... ooooh, spooky....
   Maybe next time I'll try talking to them, see what happens. It could be that my next career is as a non-douchebag version of John Edward. 'I see someone in your family, whose name started with b, no c, no d, no p... Paul, yeah, p, I meant p. Now give me money.'

No comments:

Post a Comment