Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Circus

What is it about Saturday morning that makes people dress like circus clowns? Do they miss cartoons so much that they feel the need to make believe they're superheroes in spandex tights?
   I went to the farmer's market this morning to get me some fresh vegetables and to throw it in the face of all the people in the country still digging out from several feet of snowfall. It's January in SoCal, losers, absolutely no snow and there's even a harvest. So suck it, New York!
   Anyway... I want to make it clear that I'm no fashion plate. No shower, no shave, and as a matter of fact I didn't even brush my teeth (sorry about that one). I rolled out of bed, put on a t-shirt, jeans, and shoes and drove to the farmer's market. But you would have thought I was Georgio Armani in comparison to some of the people I saw.
   I give new parents a pass. If I see someone pushing a stroller with an infant, they can wear whatever the hell they want, they've probably had very little sleep. But if you're a man in your fifties, plaid shorts, sandals, a parka and a bandana just make you look like you're practicing to be homeless.
   Or the lady with curlers in her hair (really, out in public) wearing the pink track suit with pink slippers. She probably thought no one would look at her feet. She didn't get caught out on her sidewalk while she was getting the morning paper, nope, she was in the mix shopping for broccoli with everybody else.
   And then there was the couple. You know, THEM. The couple who dress alike, not because the wife insists - which does happen - but because they share a wardrobe. Why two people would still own those awful, awful multi-colored weightlifting pants is beyond me, and why they would wear them in public is a mystery I don't think anyone will be able to solve. Add the ratty not-clever t-shirts and Crocs and it looked to me like they literally rolled out of bed and got in the car with no steps in between. Maybe they slept in the car, I don't know.
   Whatever happened to trying to at least look presentable when you go somewhere? All the vendors at the farmer's market made the effort to look decent, why can't the rest of you people?

No comments:

Post a Comment