Friday, January 21, 2011

Tales From My Past - Married?

It was a Friday and I was in college. It was also April 1st.
   The phone rang. It was about 8 AM. Which, for a college student, is the equivalent of 3 AM in normal people time. Since I had the bottom bunk I rolled out of bed and fumbled for the receiver.
   "Hi Donnie," a cautious voice said on the other side. My sister. "Guess what? Tony and I are getting married tomorrow."
   "That's not funny," I grumbled and I hung up.
   I crawled back into bed. My roommate asked what was going on, and I told him my sister was playing a very bad April Fool's joke.
   Ten minutes later the phone started ringing.
   I crawled out of bed again, ready to yell at my sister for not letting me sleep in. This time it was my mother.
   "They really are getting married tomorrow," she said. She sounded angry, sad, and giddy all at the same time.
   "Huh. Guess I better come back home for the weekend, then," I said.
   This is the way I found out my sister was getting married. An early-morning call on April Fool's Day. So I finished class that Friday then got in my car and drove home. They were married the following day.
   Over two decades and three children later they're still married. I don't know which one of them is bigger saint for putting up with the other, but they've made it work.
   Still, I wish my sister had picked a better day to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment