Friday, February 18, 2011

OMG

You ever have one of those days when you see one thing, and then all you see for the rest of the day is that same thing, over and over and over? It'll happen with numbers, for instance, you see 37 early in the morning and then it's nothing but 37 for the rest of the day. Or you see a lady with a yellow dress and then you see the same yellow on every third person. It's either some grand synchronicity or you just have that thing on the brain. I'm putting my money on synchronicity. Why? you ask. Well, I'll tell you...
   This morning I got up early to work out. As I'm walking to the gym, what do I see but some distracted woman in a minivan parked in front of the driveway of the old folks' home across the street, texting. I suppose it's a saving grace that she wasn't driving, but she was blocking out the food delivery truck. How she missed that huge vehicle in her rear-view I don't know. Unless, of course, she wasn't paying attention. Which she wasn't.
   Coming out of the gym, which is by the cooking school, I see another distracted woman, a student judging by her white coat and gray pants, texting while walking across the street. She was still in traffic when the light changed. She did not get run over, but only barely.
   At the grocery store, a distracted woman was texting while parked so close to my truck that I couldn't squeeze between the two vehicles, let alone open my door to get in. I did not give her finger or take a crowbar to her rear window, though I desperately wanted to. Homey don't want to go to jail, after all.
   While pumping gas what do I see but a distracted woman half-in half-out of a parking space, paused to finish texting. While she was taking care of business a line of three cars formed, all of them trying to get to the pumps, which she was blocking.
   Just now, in the rain (which makes all Angelenos insane in the membrane) yet another distracted woman pulled over to the side of the road, texting. Problem is, she pulled over into a red-zone bus stop, and seemed genuinely surprised and upset when the bus driver honked at her repeatedly and flashed his lights. Maybe she wanted to give everyone waiting for the bus a ride in her Lexus?
   Perhaps I'm just looking for it, maybe I'm sensitive to it, or maybe it's the rain. Or a full moon. But this is just stupid. There's no text you're receiving or sending that's worth risking your life, let alone mine. Especially mine.
   Kind of makes me wonder what's coming up tomorrow. Chimney sweeps? That would be cool, to see chimney sweeps everywhere. Or C.H.U.D.S. Or monkeys with tin cups full of $100 bills, ready for me to collect. That would be especially cool. Let's make that last one happen, Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment