Friday, February 25, 2011

When Tom Sings You Listen

Years ago I gave my younger niece a CD of Tom Jones hits. She loved it, especially the chorus of 'What's New, Pussycat?'* She amazed and delighted my sister's friends who had no idea a little kid could know all the words to any song, let alone Tom Jones. My younger niece is now an accomplished musician and I like to believe that Tom Jones had a very large part in making that happen.
   So I was re-listening to my copy of that Tom Jones greatest hits CD - on iTunes, natch, who handles CDs these days? - and I realized that some of his songs don't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, they're undeniably catchy and I can listen to them over and over, but only if I don't pay a whole lot of attention.
   To wit, 'Thunderball':
      He knows the meaning of success.
      His needs are more, so he gives less.
      They call him the winner who takes all.
      And he strikes, like Thunderball.
Get away from the groovy 60's theatrical score and just listen, and the song doesn't really hold together. Never mind that it was the theme for a James Bond picture.
   Or how about 'Help Yourself'
      Love is like candy on a shelf
      You want to taste and help yourself
      The sweetest things are there for you
      Help yourself take a few
      That's what I want you to do
   Or 'Puppet Man'
      Baby, Baby, I'm your sweet pet
      I'm just your personal marionette
      Wind me up and let me go
      Don't you know I'm a one man show?

I think I've made my point.
   However, the fact that some of Mr. Jones' lyrics approach dadaist meaninglessness makes absolutely no difference. At. All. I want to strike like Thunderball, even though I have no idea what that means. And I want my love to wind me up, even though marionettes aren't wind-up dolls. And I want my love like candy on a shelf, even though candy goes in jars. When I listen to Tom Jones I just sit back and enjoy, and turn my brain off. I leave myself in his tender care, because I know he won't do me wrong.

When Tom Jones sings, you listen.



* whoa-whoa-whoa

No comments:

Post a Comment