Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Trend That Should Stay Dead

In the past three weeks I've seen a lot of men around Pasadena sporting mohawks. And by a lot I mean more than I expect, which should be none at all.
   And I'm not talking the sissy-boy Hollywood mohawk, which is just some no-talent hack 'actor' with his hair moussed up in the center of his head. No, I've been seeing no-shit, for-real, shaved-temple mohawk-wearing sons-of-bitches (I get paid extra by the hyphen).
   I saw two guys going into the bicycle shop next to where I buy my comics. I saw a really tall doofus in Old Town, I saw some black-leather jackass in the grocery store, I saw a dude with mascara and stencilled eyebrows at a Mexican restaurant. None of these were the same person. I even saw a guy in his cooking school uniform with a fresh mohawk - which I could tell because the sides of his head were pale white.
   What happened? Did it become 1983 all of a sudden while I wasn't looking? I thought society was done with this stupid trend back before I graduated high school, back when that dork from Flock of Seagulls had his... whatever the hell that was on his head.
   Here's a thought: maybe this has something to do with the tanking global economy. Seriously, think about it. How many mohawks did you see before this year? None. And now it's become the new statement. Maybe when there's less economic pressure to succeed, there's less social pressure to conform? I smell a Master's Thesis in Sociology here...

No comments:

Post a Comment