Monday, October 26, 2009

Cash Only

Since I've been 'between assignments' I've switched back to starving student mode, watching my pennies closely, getting free food from parties or happy hours when I can, paying a little less on my credit card and using it only when absolutely necessary. You know, the kind of thing you do when you're living on the edge and money's too tight to mention. Kind of makes me feel leaner, actually, hungrier, a little more mercenary and a little less complacent. I've had it too good for too long and I've gotten fat and lazy because of it.
   But I've noticed a trend locally that disturbs me. It's a sign of the times that ought to alarm the people in charge, too. It's a trend that says not only are people tightening the belt and searching out other options, businesses are too.
   I've seen tons of 'cash only' sales and promotions.
   And usually the sales are for hefty discounts - 30% to 80% off retail price. This seems like a good deal for the consumer - those of you who can buy new stuff, that is - but it's actually a desperate tactic businesses use to stay afloat. They're purging inventory and increasing cash flow.
   Why is that alarming? you might ask. Everybody likes cash. True enough, but when business purge inventory to increase their cash flow, that means they're not making enough with regular revenue to cover stuff like payroll, rent, or the purchase of new inventory. These deeply discounted sales mean businesses are probably taking a loss on the items - selling at or below their cost of goods - but they need the cash badly enough in the short term that they're willing to risk the long-term hit to their books. But the long term doesn't look too bright either.
   It's like the family down the block that throws a rent party or has a garage sale to cover their mortgage. You can see the handwriting on the wall, they're going to be moving out sooner or later, but in the meantime they're fighting as hard as they can.
   I think it's gonna get much worse before it gets any kind of better. And I desperately hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment