Friday, April 16, 2010

An Argument Like Music

So I'm driving to work today... yeah, sounds weird to me too...and I'd just made it through Koreatown with my windows down because it was a nice, cool morning. I heard what I thought was someone's car stereo, blaring some terrible rap.
   But I was oh so wrong.
   A white car pulled alongside me - between Crenshaw and Rossmore if you're familiar with the area - which was the source of the music. Except it wasn't music, it was an EXTREMELY angry woman berating the man in the passenger seat.
   As traffic moved along it was like listening to the ocean waves, I would pull ahead and the argument would fade. We'd reach a stop light (lots of those) and the argument would grow louder as the car pulled alongside me. The light would change and the argument would lull into the background again. Over and over and over.
   I expected at some point the woman would stop yelling, or at least take a breath, but she just kept going. I tried to hear the actual words she was saying, but the only thing I could tell was the man - husband, boyfriend, son, brother? I don't know - had been late for something. Perhaps the first in his long line of infractions that earned him the most serious tongue-lashing I've witnessed in a long time.
   At least it kept my morning commute entertaining. I'm still pissed off that I have a commute, but that's nothing I can fix for now.

-- Oh, and I saw a guy smoking a pipe today too. That's odd because the last person I knew who smoked a pipe was my father and he quit smoking back when I was a freshman in college. You just don't see that any more. And, yes, the guy smoking the pipe was old.


COMMUTE: there - 35 minutes back - 40 minutes
CONTRACT COUNTDOWN: 85 days

No comments:

Post a Comment