Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Whose Type Am I?

I was walking down Wilshire today to get Lotto tickets at the liquor store - you can't win if you don't play - and I noticed several different types of people walking with me. There are several medical plazas between my office and the liquor store, so there are patients on the sidewalks, people who obviously need some kind of medical attention. Because Variety, E!, G4, Comcast, and other entertainment companies have their headquarters on that stretch of the Miracle Mile there are young-ish LA hipster types in the entertainment biz, all with the same kind of sneakers, jeans, and t-shirts. Don't know when it became okay to wear jeans and a t-shirt to work, but evidently it is nowadays. Because a fairly rough part of LA is about two miles South there are some clearly indigent, possibly felonious types of many races and creeds. A melting pot, if you will. Oh, and speaking of pot, there's a medical marijuana store/dispensary/whatever on the way, so there are some stoner types out and about too.
   As I was classifying these people I got to wondering what type I was for them? While I'd prefer to think I was the 'rakishly handsome, put together guy in charge' type, I doubt that was really the case.
   I wear business clothes to work - slacks, an ironed shirt and dress shoes - and I'm a white guy of a certain age. What does that mean for, say, one of the stoners? And what does my wrist watch mean for the hipster entertainment people? Or my bathed condition for the indigent people?
   Do I represent The Man? Am I emblematic of that corporate America I so desperately want to escape? Am I thinking too much? Should I just shut up, keep my head down, and thank God that I have a job?
   Nah...


COMMUTE: there - 40 minutes, fire trucks     back - 36 minutes
CONTRACT COUNTDOWN: 73 days

No comments:

Post a Comment