Friday, June 4, 2010

Litterbug, Litterbug, Shame On You

Pardon the perspiration but I just lugged a 70+ pound book case up three flights of stairs - because the elevator STILL isn't fixed - and I'm sweating like a whore in church.
   Which is kind of my topic. Perspiration, that is, not whores. Or church. It's unseasonably warm in LA today, 80 degrees in Pasadena, and as I was driving home from work I noticed a lot of rolled-down windows with people's arms sticking out of them. A lot. Usually LA driving is hermetically sealed, unless you're in a convertible, everybody in their own little cocoon of metal and glass. But today people were becoming one with their environment, at least the part that jets by at 30 miles an hour. But there was something else I noticed a lot of. A lot.
   The people with their windows down were littering. Brashly and brazenly. Unapologetically.
   I noticed a bus driver lady first, flicking something off her fingers and out into the street. Took her a while to get rid of whatever it was. Not two stop lights later I saw a guy throwing a wrapper out his window. And a guy behind him tossed something out too, which bounced and rolled down Wilshire. I noticed debris-tossing about five more times on the way home, and then another five or six when I picked up the monster book case I mentioned before. All were people who had their windows down, sunning their left arms.
   So I figure one of two things is true:
a)    people who like to litter also like to roll their windows down when it's hot
OR
b)    having a car window down makes otherwise fastidious people into scofflaw litterbugs.

I'm guessing it's a) because I had my window down and I didn't toss one thing out of my truck. Didn't even spit.

COMMUTE - there - 35 minutes      back - 35 minutes
CONTRACT COUNTDOWN: 38 days

No comments:

Post a Comment