Friday, May 13, 2011

Danger Mouse

I know it's cliche, but little boys and little girls are so different.
   My nephew, who is going to be three, is all boy and proud of it. The other day when I went to my sister's house he was watching a movie and engrossed in it. I said hello and he couldn't be bothered to respond. After some coaxing from his father he came over and gave me a hug. So I picked him up and pushed him towards the ceiling fan, telling him I was going to bonk him on the head.
   Now, at this point the game would have been over with my nieces, his sisters. At his age they like being picked up and cuddled and tickled, but rough housing was right out. My nephew loves it. He tossed his head back and looked up into the fan, even as I got close. He laughed.
   Ten minutes later he came back to me and said 'put me into the fan again.' So I did. And he laughed all over again. He likes to jump and roll over and be hung upside-down by his ankles, and he loves sword fighting, even with things that aren't foam swords.
   He's a little danger mouse, and I've told my sister that he's going to be the youngest of her children to break a bone. I'm not trying to jinx him, I'm just trying to prepare my sister for the inevitable. The Girls didn't need as much monitoring to make sure they didn't kill themselves, and it's not that they had more common sense than The Boy does. He has just as much common sense as they do, it's just that he ignores it.
   I think he's going to be a James-Bond type spy when he grows up. Or an Evel-Knievel type daredevil. Maybe both.

No comments:

Post a Comment