Thursday, May 26, 2011

Which Way Is 'Go'?

I've been pondering imponderables again. Bear with me.
   I've heard or read a few things in the past day that forced me to think about the very, very large and the very, very small. I have some questions about this, and maybe if I were a particle physicist I'd already know the answer, but I'm not so here goes.

Electrons are round.
   Scientists have deduced that electrons are not only round, they're really, really round. The analogy I heard was that if you blow up an electron to be the diameter of the solar system (Neptune's orbit, I presume, since Pluto is no longer a planet) they measured the roundness of the electron to within the width of a human hair. On that scale. Quite an accomplishment. Unless...
   I learned in high school physics that if you measure electrons one way they behave as particles, if you measure them another way they behave as waves. Which means, if you think about that for a moment, an electron is neither a wave nor a particle but a third thing besides. The electon conforms to the expectations and assumptions of the experiment you perform on it.
   So if you measure the electron looking for how round it is, and you find that it's way, way, way rounder than you could ever have imagined, shouldn't you re-examine your assumptions? Some paranoid mental patients are 100% positive the CIA is following them, you can't convince them otherwise, because that's what they're looking for. Everything they see just reaffirms their assumption that men in black are after them. I'm thinking it's the same for this round-electron experiment. Like a no-money-down mortgage, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

Next topic: the most distant object in the universe
   Scientists (different ones) also discovered a gamma-ray burst that is about 13 billion light years distant. If the universe is 13.7 billion years old - which scientists say it is - then that makes this the most distant object yet observed.
   But what does that mean?
   If we're looking far into space we're also looking back into time. And yet, we see the same distance no matter which way we look. We're 13 billion light years from stuff as we look North, and the same 13 billion light years from stuff as we look South. Does that mean those two things are 26 billion light years apart? Expansion of spacetime itself is not limited to Einstein's limit on the speed of light, since it's not light that's going so fast, it's the fabric of the universe itself, no law against that. But it does leave us with a perplexing conundrum.
   Where's the center?
   If there was a Big Bang, and I have no doubt there was, it had to have started somewhere specific. And don't cop out by telling me the Big Bang created spacetime, I get that, but spacetime expansion has to be coming from somewhere once it exists. An air bubble I blow underwater in a swimming pool didn't exist before I opened my mouth, but it exists after and has to go somewhere and do something in relation to me. Same thing with the universe.
   And you don't get another cop out by resorting to infinity. The problem with infinity is that it's infinite, and if our universe is infinite then that sort of precludes a Big Bang, doesn't it?

... all right, that's it for now. Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment