Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Kwisatz Haderach?*

You ever have one of those deja-vu circumstances where you're in a situation and you realize you dreamed precisely that moment? The dream could have been the day before, it could have been years before, but you forgot it completely until just then, when it all came flooding back.
   I used to have those all the time. And I do mean all the time, twice a week, almost every day sometimes. I'd hear something or see something or even smell something and I'd realize that I dreamed what was happening, saw it in my mind's eye just like it played out in front of me. And then I got older and the deja vu moments came less and less. For a while there, a couple of years I suppose, I don't recall having one of those moments. I even wondered why they stopped, like maybe I got too old or lost my innocence or got my third eye poked out or something.
   Well, no worries, they've started again. I'm going back to my old schedule, once or twice a week now. I haven't taken the waters of life*, nor undergone the spice agony*, nor even organized an army of deadly desert nomads*, but I'm fairly certain I could if I wanted to.
   The analytical side of me says I'm not remembering a dream, that my mind is putting together familiar input and recalling something similar that actually happened before, but when the deja-vu involves people I only met that day it's really difficult for me to reason my way out of it not being a remembered dream. I just know it's like having an old friend around after he's been away for a while.
   I wish this was something I could control, it would be good to discover the winning lotto numbers the day before, but I'll take what I can get I suppose. See you in my dreams.


* it's a Dune reference, look it up. The good Dune by Frank Herbert, not the embarrassing abominations perpetrated by his hack son Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment