Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Healthy, Or Just Lazy?

I was standing in my kitchen just now, pondering my meal options for this evening. I've been trying to eat healthier lately, which means I don't have a whole lot of ready-to-eat stuff in the pantry or refrigerator. And that means if I want to provide my body sustenance I either have to make something or go out and buy something.
   When I say there was nothing ready-to-eat I mean NOTHING. I have: rice(uncooked), two cans of tuna, canned tomatoes, canned beans, spices, frozen turkey, olives, apples, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, turkey gravy mix, couscous, pancake mix, flour, sugar, sweet relish, dill relish, maple syrup, eggs, and frozen lunchmeat.
   Yeah. Figure that one out.
   I thought about it, then dithered in front of the refrigerator, dithered in front of the pantry, thought about going downstairs, looked back into the refrigerator again to see if maybe something had appeared in the past five minutes - nothing had - and then I thought some more. Finally I decided to make some sort of tuna salad thing, even though I don't have any bread. And I was proud of myself.
   Then I got to thinking. Did I decide to make tuna salad because I was trying to be healthy, or because I just didn't want to put on pants, shoes and a jacket, go down the stairs - because the elevator STILL isn't fixed - and drive to get junk food? I want to think I'm eating healthier because it's the right thing to do, not because I can't be bothered to walk down three flights of stairs.
   But, honestly, if I had the gumption I'd be eating Taco Bell right now. Instead I'm shoveling tuna salad into my gullet. It's just easier.
   Take that, Jillian Michaels! You can be lazy and healthy at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment