Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rocktober

I can't believe I haven't gotten up on my soap box about this one yet. Not last year, not this year until now. And this is such a big deal to me too. A mission. A calling. My raison d'etre, if you will. I have but one thing to accomplish in life and it is this:
   I want to get everyone calling this month 'Rocktober.'
   Always and forever. I want the calendar makers to change the calendars, I want the dictionary people to bow to public opinion and rename the months. I want elementary school kids to write 'Rocktober' in their awkward little printing, and bring home 'Rocktober' things to their mothers to hang on the refrigerator.
   I don't remember when exactly I first heard 'Rocktober,' but I can guarantee you it was the late 70's or early 80's on 99.5 KISS-FM, the home of rock-n-roll in San Antonio. Along with Rocktober came Rollvember. And then, in a fit of creativity and hero-worship, they came up with Zep-tember in honor of the best rock band in the history of, like, ever. No, not Hootie and the Blowfish, Led Zeppelin.
   For years now, probably since college when I had a lot of free time on my hands, I've been trying to get people to call this month Rocktober. Usually I'm greeted with a polite chuckle and a sad shake of the head, but a few people have eagerly come on board with me.
   And that's all it's gonna take. Just a few people here, a few there. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know, so to get my goal of having everyone agree that this month is called Rocktober is also going to take time. And perseverance. And maybe giving out candy as an incentive.
   Yeah, that's it. I'm going to give out free candy to people who swear they will use the term 'Rocktober' from now on. You don't even have to sign anything, just believe it in your heart and it'll be true. And I'll pass my free candy out on... oh... let's say Rocktober 31st. That sounds like a good day. If you get free candy on or about Rocktober 31st, you know it came from me, and you know that you're now obligated to use the phrase 'Rocktober' until your time is up.
   Deal? Good...

No comments:

Post a Comment