Saturday, October 9, 2010

That's An Entrepreneur

I was driving to the fencing studio this afternoon, in the hot rod with the top down. Had the radio going, minding my own business, when I heard someone say something. I turned to my left where a large gray van sat idling. A young boy was looking over at me and I realized he was the one who'd been speaking. I turned down the radio and asked him to repeat himself, thinking he was asking for directions or some such.
   "Would you like to buy some candy, sir?"
   I laughed. There was no way I was going to buy candy from some kid in a van at a stop light. But that doesn't mean I don't admire him for the effort. For a real salesman every encounter is an opportunity for a sale, even if it's some guy driving a convertible you talk to in the middle of traffic. The kid looked like he was in middle school, probably trying to win a sales contest where the grand prize is a go-kart or something else equally cool and ultimately unattainable where you have to sell a million Snickers bars.
   He was young enough that he hadn't quite thought out the actual logistics of the deal. Had I agreed to buy candy, where would we have pulled over? How would we have made the exchange? How much would the candy have been and what would I have gotten for the cash? Despite all that, I still like his go-getter attitude. He's got a long career ahead of him selling something.
   Of course, I'm so un-hip I'm thinking 'candy' meant actual candy. For all I know I could have scored some meth or crack or something. That sure would have made fencing interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment