Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Could Be Dreaming

I had a dream last night. One I remembered, I mean, I dream every night but unless I write them down I don't remember them, and I haven't made the effort to write them down for quite some time. This dream did not compare with the 'Madonna eating Mrs. Fields cookies in the flying deLorean' dream from twenty years ago, but it was interesting in its own right.

FADE IN
    You never know how dreams start, they just kind of pick up from somewhere, this was no exception. I was wandering through a city that looked vaguely like a cross between Rome and London – both places I've spent time – where the ends of the city blocks were lost in mist.
   A clock walks by. An anthropomorphic, round, six-foot-tall alarm clock walks by, but because it's an alarm clock it doesn't have knees so it just kind of waddles and clanks. It looks a little like one of the kids' toy phones with a face from years ago.
   I see the 'Tuppence' woman from Mary Poppins – complete with black Victorian clothes and pigeons on her hat - only she's behind a folding table piled high with pirated CDs. I tell her that nobody buys CDs any more and she tells me to 'scram.' Yup, she said 'scram.'
    At the corner by the 7-11 (which I guess they have in Dreamland London-Rome) there are four dusty workmen in a battered blue pickup truck, drinking beer and listening to Conjunto music complete with rapid-fire accordion music. None of them are Mexican, though, they all look like Appalachian rednecks.
   I'm hungry, and there's a street vendor trying to sell me that Boba stuff, the horrible bubble tea abomination you 'drink' with those huge straws. I don't want any but the guy follows me down the street. So I take him back to the Tuppence lady so she can tell him to 'scram.'
FADE OUT

I'm guessing there's some serious psychology underneath all that, but it's just so weird that I'd rather celebrate that than try to pick everything apart to find meaning. Good thing there weren't any rocket ships, or cigars, or trains going into tunnels, that would make it really uncomfortable...

No comments:

Post a Comment