Monday, November 29, 2010

Swirling Chemicals

I've been sick for a while now. A week, give or take. My illness moved from a simple cold to a sinus infection, confirmed by a visit to the doctor. And to combat that I now have a whole new cocktail of chemicals running rampant through my system.
   First there is the antibiotic. Amoxicillin. A full 10-day course. This will deplete not only the bad bugs in my system, but it will get rid of the good bugs too. Antibiotics usually mean diarrhea.
   So, to combat that I bought some probiotics. Yakult, which, come to find out, is actually made in Mexico - ironic considering I got it to keep from getting the Hershey squirts - and some stuff from the Vitamin Shoppe. Hopefully that will put beneficial flora back in my gut to replace what the antibiotics kill off.
   I also got some vitamin C. Which does make my pee an alarming, almost super-heroic shade of yellow, but otherwise I'm not certain does anything but add to the chemicals coursing through my bloodstream.
   I have some decongestant still hanging around too. Sudafed. Which, if I were a chemist and totally amoral I could turn into meth.
   Then there's the nasal spray. I got it free from the doctor, but it's a nasal steroid, so that's added to the brew inside me. It also really dries out the boogers in my sinuses, so that in the morning I basically blow out the lining of my nose. Which I think is cool but others might have a different idea.
   So instead of blood in my veins I now have a witch's cauldron of eye of newt and wing of bat. I'm not so certain it's good for me, to tell you the truth. But at least I can breathe at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment