Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A New Boutique

Ah, sir, welcome to the Change Boutique.
    Actually, I think I'm in the wrong…
Nonsense, sir, you wouldn't have been able to find this establishment if it weren't your time.
   So why am I here?
That is the question, isn't it? Have you undergone some sort of drastic life change recently?
   Not really. Well.. I was one of the millions of people who lost their jobs last year.
That counts.
    But I was cool with it. Really. I had money saved up and with an unemployment check coming in I made it work.
Are you still 'between assignments?'
   Hey, funny, that's what I called it. No, I found a gig. Contract work.
And?
    I'm doing doing the same stuff I was doing nine years ago.
Ah… a step back.
    Kind of. But they're paying me pretty well. I just don't want to that work any more.
So, not recently unemployed, then re-employed at something you'd rather not be doing.
   It brings in rent money, can't ask for more than that.
Actually, you can. Anything else?
   I'm trying to get a franchise started back in my home town.
That's certainly a change.
   Wait, are you taking notes?
Of course, sir. Is there anything else, anything big that's happened to you lately?
   No. Well, my father died.
That's very big. My condolences. How are you holding up?
   Some days are better than others. Some days are way worse.
Feeling your own mortality, then?
   Big time. And I'm not married and I don't have any kids.
Do you want those things?
   Absolutely.
Wow, just a barrel of conflict here. What else is happening?
   I'm trying really hard to sell my writing.
Ah… you want that particular change then, you want to make a living as a writer?
   Of course.
And you feel you're being kept from it?
   Well… I suppose…
I can say without equivocation, sir, that you belong here in the Change Boutique.
   I don't like dealing with this kind of stuff.
Of course you don't. That’s why you need our help.
    Who are you?
Just relax, sir. Go with the flow.
    I can't. I want to fight this, try to swim out of the rip tide.
Struggling will only tire you out more.
   Crap… do you mind if I cry? Maybe just a little?
You go right ahead, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment