Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cable Rage

Click-click-click
   Welcome to Charter, all our service representatives are busy, the wait time is... two minutes.
   Did you know Charter can save you money by bundling...
Click-click-click
   Thank you for calling Charter, this is Corey, how can I help you today?
Hi, I got this thing in the mail, it says you can bundle my cable, internet, and phone for $120 a month.
   Yes, sir, that's a great package, you get everything for one low price.
Okay, thing is, I'm totally not interested in having my phone through the cable line. I'm sticking with my regular phone. How much to bundle just the cable and internet?
   Oh, the deal includes the phone, sir.
What kind of deal can I get with just the cable and internet?
   Give me just a second here... it looks like you already have cable and internet with us, sir.
That's right, I'm looking to get the price reduced. $120 a month is less than what I pay now for cable and internet, so if $120 includes the phone thing, then I should be able to get just cable and internet for less than $120, right?
   The promotional offer includes the phone, sir.
I understand that, the $120 a month includes the phone, but I don't want the phone... All right. What other deals do you have on just cable and internet?
   Let me check, sir. Give me a second here... oh, we have a good deal for $132 a month, cable and internet.
That's only like $15 off what I pay now. And it's still more than $120.
   Yes, sir.
You don't have a better deal than that?
   $132 a month includes everything you have now, sir, without the phone service.
Okay, I suppose. Better than nothing. I'll take $132 a month.
   Hold on a moment, sir... there, I've applied the promotion. You'll be billed at $132 a month now, plus applicable taxes.
I know this isn't anything you have control over, but does it make any sense to you that three things costs less than two things? Shouldn't I be paying less for just cable and internet than I would if I also had my phone with you guys?
   New deals come through all the time, sir, you may want to check back.
You know I'm just going to cancel cable entirely, don't you?
   Charter appreciates your business, sir.
But not enough to give me a fair price, huh?
    Is there anything else I can help you with, sir?
Nope, that's it. Thanks for putting up with me, Corey.
   You have a nice day, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment