Friday, September 4, 2009

How Hard Is It To Scan Groceries?

I'll be the first to admit it, I have a bit of free time being 'between assignments.' But that time is my own, and I guard every little bit of it jealously. I look for jobs (yes, I really do), I write, I work out, I do a bit of design work in Adobe Illustrator, I try to keep busy. If I wanted to learn a new skill, believe me, I'd be able to devote as many hours to it as it would take to master.
   This is the long way around to saying that I really don't want to spend my time figuring out how to run the 'Self Service' machines at the grocery store. My local Von's has a bunch of these things, and when I'm shopping somebody comes over the intercom every five minutes or so, really pushing people to do their own labor. They kind of lay on a guilt trip, saying 'no waiting at the self-service, you should try it,' or 'regular checkout is full, but self-service is available,' that kind of stuff. Like your lonely grandmother worked there or something.
   Seriously, if I wanted to be a grocery store clerk I'd join the freakin' union and wear an apron and a nametag. I want to pick out my groceries, wheel my cart to the front of the store, and make awkward conversation with someone while they silently judge my eating habits. Then I want some high-school student to put all my canned goods on top of my carton of eggs and roll his eyes when I tell him to re-do it.
   I don't ask the grocery store clerks to fill out my unemployment form for me, why are they asking me to scan and bag my own stuff?
   I definitely feel a cranky old-man tirade coming on...

2 comments:

  1. i know they should get rid of self check i hate working them iam a cashier by the way and not all of us put cans on eggs or judge ur eating habits lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those self-serve check out things as much as I detest the plastic grocery bags that don't hold anything up. Remember the day when the clerk actually had to type in the price of the item and your stuff went into some pretty sturdy paper bags that wouldn't fall over the first time you took a curve??

    ReplyDelete