Thursday, September 17, 2009

From My Bookshelf

Wow, it's been a while since I've done a 'From My Bookshelf' post. It's not like I have a shortage of books, either. Just slipped my mind, I suppose.
   This time I'm getting all science-y, but in a fun way. 'How is that possible?' you ask. 'Science isn't fun, it's done in classrooms that smell like formaldehyde and cranky old man. It's something for eggheads, not for us hip youngsters with our long hair and permissive attitudes.'
   To which I say 'Au contraire, mon ami.' And this book is proof of the awesome coolness of science. And of science writers.

The Stuff of Life: a graphic guide to genetics and DNA by Mark Schultz illustrated by Zander Cannon and Kevin Cannon
   This is a 'graphic novel' which is a five-dollar word for 'comic book' that fools no one. However, in this case the term is apt, because it really is a very straightforward, earnest elucidation of the complexities of genetics, presented in panels of well-drawn pictures. No guys in tights punching each other here.
   I remember when I was learning genetics I could read all the text in the world and have it mean nothing to me. When the teacher drew a Mendelian square on the chalkboard, it all started coming together. Imagine that clarity, but extended for all genetics, including how DNA strands are constructed and replicated. If you have a student in a biology class - or ARE a student in a biology class - you should run out and get this book, it's that good.
   Mark Schultz is a longtime comics writer, who has won two Eisners. That's like winning two Oscars, if you don't know comics.
   Zander Cannon and Kevin Cannon are comic artists, who are responsible, along with Alan Moore, for the incredible Top 10 series, which is also something you should check out. They're not actually related, they just have the same last name. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment