Thursday, September 24, 2009

False Recognition

A few years back when I was working as a government contractor and traveling a lot, I saw a friend from college in the Frankfurt airport. It was one of those weird things, I wasn't sure it was actually him, he wasn't sure it was actually me, and it was totally incongruous that we would see each other in passing in an airport in Germany. We said 'hi,' exchanged brief pleasantries and, bewildered, went about our business. Totally freaky, and awkward for both of us.
   Flash forward to yesterday. I was in a sketchy part of North Hollywood, after 10 PM. I pulled into a 7-11 to buy lotto tickets - you can't win if you don't play - and I saw my friend Jeff. At least I thought I saw him, more specifically someone in his car who looked like him. Jeff does live in the LA area, so it wasn't completely outside the realm of possibility that I might see him in North Hollywood, but it was after 10 in a not-so-great part of a not-so-great place and Jeff's a family man. Not a risk-taker, if you catch my drift. So I didn't go over at first, I was biding my time. In the store I watched outside, waiting for Jeff to get out of his car and come over to say hello. No such luck.
   I got my lotto tickets and went back outside. I leaned over and waved to the person in Jeff's car, catching their eye.
   Of course it was not Jeff. Not even close.
   See, Jeff's a white guy, like me, and the guy in Jeff's car was an Asian guy. An Asian guy who looks like Jeff from the back in the dark in a 7-11 parking lot in North Hollywood after 10 PM. To say that the Asian guy was wary and suspicious is putting it mildly. He actually rolled up his window.
   I guess I'm more dangerous-looking than I realize. In the dark, in a 7-11 parking lot in North Hollywood after 10 PM. Score one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment