Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Things I Wish Were True

Remember when you were a kid and everything was possible? You made Superman's cape out of a blanket tied around your neck and you were convinced that if you jumped off the roof just right you could fly. Or when you got a new pair of sneakers you knew you could run twice as fast as the day before. And it was true. The world was nothing but possibilities and all you had to do was want something bad enough to make it happen.
   As an adult - purportedly - I forget how it was back when I was shorter and smaller. I forget that imagination and perseverance make everything happen. Even impossible things become only highly improbable when you look at them the right way. So here's a list of things I wish were true, because I believe some day they all will be.

Every New Yorker takes a moment each day to look up and realize how cool it is to be living where they do.

LA drivers either speed up when they're supposed to or slow the hell down when it's appropriate, not the other way around.

For one year everyone gets exactly what they want for their birthday.

I make my living as a novel writer.

Chocolate cake is used as currency. Delicious, edible currency.

The pain of losing a parent goes away.

People and whales have a conversation about everything that's been going on for the past few hundred years and they forgive us.

Spats come back in style, at least for billionaires wearing waistcoats.

People stop and think for ten seconds about the consequences of what they're about to do.

The lazy and sly stop preying on the gullible and trusting.

Love is easy.

I figure out what that light switch in the other bedroom actually does.

People stop and think for ten seconds about the consequences of what they're about to say.

Those without get what they need, those with too much give what extra they have freely.

Someone figures out a limerick that rhymes 'Nantucket' with something that isn't dirty.



That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

COMMUTE - there - 40 minutes      back - 37 minutes
CONTRACT COUNTDOWN: 47 days

No comments:

Post a Comment