Monday, May 3, 2010

The White Girl At Chipotle

You know, with all the craziness happening in Arizona, the last thing public discourse needs is another 'white folks vs. (fill in your ethnicity here)' talk. But, on the other hand, I do have to call 'em like I see 'em.
   Since I've been a working man I haven't really had time to cook on weekdays. It's been sandwiches, chips, and Lara Bars for the most part. Which is also pretty much what I have for lunch. Day after day after day.
   So after my fencing lesson today I decided I needed something different. Driving down Del Mar I headed for South Lake Avenue and its line of fast food restaurants. Chipotle beckoned me. And there I went. Inside I ordered my chicken burrito and got all my fixin's as the workers passed the tortilla down the line with efficiency and dispatch.
   Then my burrito got to the one white chick, the last in the production line. She tried her best, really she did, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I could roll a burrito better than she could, and I've never worked in a place where that was my job. The other ladies behind the line - Hispanic all - waited patiently for the white chick to finish wadding up my meal and wrapping it awkwardly in foil.
   I'm not trying to say that Hispanic women are better than white chicks at wrapping burritos... well, I guess I am saying that, but I don't mean it in a bad way. More to the point, what I'm saying is that I'd rather have someone good at their job making my oh-so-caloric meal, instead of someone just learning their job.
   Bless her heart, the poor thing couldn't even scoop guacamole into a plastic cup. A job's a job, but some people just aren't cut out for food service. She probably should have stuck with Kohl's or some other white chick hangout.



COMMUTE: there - 40 minutes      back - 40 minutes to my fencing lesson
CONTRACT COUNTDOWN: 68 days

No comments:

Post a Comment