Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Disco Inferno

I was unlucky enough to be alive during the Disco era, though definitely not of age. I remember watching Dick Clark on American Bandstand and wondering what the hell those people in matching outfits were trying to accomplish with their synchronized flailing. And Lord help us... our family watched Solid Gold every Saturday. Because my mother and father hated me and my sister, evidently, and wanted to make our childhoods nothing but torture. That's the only explanation I have.
   But the music was the worst. Oy... my nightmares have a soundtrack from AM radio in 1979. I spent my high school years listening to 99.5 KISS FM and album rock because I'd been so traumatized by Disco when I was younger.
   So why do I know and enjoy those songs now?
   A while back I was cleaning and suddenly realized I was singing 'I Will Survive.' In its entirety. Then I got some rest, the sun came up again, and everything was new. No more disco.
   They renovated my local gym last month, and now it seems they're playing the 'Torture Don' channel. Or call it 70's Hits, whatever. But, damn me, I can't help but get a little bounce in my step when KC and his Sunshine Band come on. Keep It Coming Love indeed. I thought I would tear my eyes out if I ever heard 'Love Will Keep Us Together' in a non-ironic way, but there's something about it that makes the treadmill bearable. Stupid Captain. Stupid Tennille.
   And, damn it all to Hell and back twice, Leo Sayer is on some TV commercial. And if it's not Leo Sayer then it's something awfully close. And I don't hate it. What's wrong with me?

You know what it is? It's this working stuff. It's not only ruining my sleep cycle, it's making me regress, back to elementary school and AM radio and Solid Gold.
   Crap.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't hit rock bottom yet until you put "Brick House" as one of your ringtones on your cell (and it goes off in a meeting at work). =)

    ReplyDelete