Friday, July 9, 2010

Industrious By Example

My local gym reopened a few weeks back after being closed a month for renovations. It's not much different except for the absolutely hideous yellow paint. You know it's got to be bad for me to use a word like 'hideous.' Think of the palest, ugliest, most irredeemable yellow you've ever seen and that's what's on the walls. Like primer, except it's not primer, that's the color the walls are supposed to be. Horrible.
   They may have spruced up the place, but they kept the staff, including the guy who cleans. This guy doesn't speak much English - hardly any, actually - and he gets dropped off out front at 7 AM and picked up at 3 PM (I saw this on separate visits, I'm not stalking him). He's the guy who mops the floor, who dusts every piece of equipment, who cleans the sinks and the toilets and empties the trash.
   Man, that dude hustles. No matter when I'm at the gym when I see him he's always on the move, like a human freight train chugging along. I saw him this morning as a matter of fact, doing his usual thorough job of dusting. And I realized that I should probably be more like him. Do your job and do it well, no matter what it that job is. While I'm sitting here bemoaning my fate and grousing about my work situation and how it's not what I want it to be, this guy is out there hustling every day. Putting me to shame.
   I don't know... maybe with greater opportunity comes greater expectations? If this guy had worked his way up the ladder and then got put back in charge of a vacuum cleaner, would he give it the same effort he does now? Would he keep doing the same bang-up job if it was a job he hated? I don't know, and I hope he never has to find out.
   I tell you what, if I owned my own office building, I'd hire that guy away in a heartbeat. You gotta surround yourself with good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment