Thursday, May 14, 2009

Around Town

Seen on my walks around Pasadena:
   I've Heard This Before
   There's a residential hotel on Colorado Blvd that's being renovated. As I was walking past I saw two guys struggling under the weight of a broken toilet, trying to get it to the dumpster. They were arguing - in Thai I believe - with the older guy fussing at the younger guy and the younger guy protesting. Even though I couldn't understand the words, I knew the conversation they were having, I've been on both ends before. "Go right." "I am going right." "No, my right, not your right."
   Then they heaved the toilet into the dumpster after counting one-two-three in Thai.

   Well-deserved Collision
   Am I the only one annoyed by these bike-riding jackasses? You know the kind, they go 10 miles an hour and take up a car lane. They want to be treated like cars, but they ride up on the sidewalk at the first opportunity, blow through stop signs, and generally disobey any traffic rules they find inconvenient. Bastards...
   Anyhoo - down by PCC I saw two oblivious bike riders crash into one another. Each was thinking the other was going to get out of the way, but neither did, like a slow-motion game of chicken. Then they started arguing, but neither was man enough to throw a punch. Sitting in my car I laughed out loud, and I saw other drivers doing the same.
   All I can say is HA!

   Suicide Squirrels
   Back in Texas all the stupid squirrels have been culled from the gene pool, the dumb ones now reside in squirrel heaven. I used to see them waiting to cross the street, actually watching for traffic and only proceeding when it was safe.
   Here in California, though, the squirrels seem to be adrenaline junkies. I've seen - many times - squirrels sitting on the curb, doing nothing until a car comes along. Then they'll dart out, scampering across the road inches away from being crushed under tires. They then stop on the other side, gazing triumphantly back across the road.
   So far there have been no disasters, but one day I know I'm going to witness tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment