Sunday, May 17, 2009

Welcome Back, Lumberjack

I love televised sports that aren't really sports at all. Except for golf, I pretty much hate that. I make time for poker competitions and fishing invitationals and caber tossing and the World's Strongest Man competitions.
   But all those have to take a back seat to the lumberjack competitions, or 'timbersports' as these things have recently been called.
   I love it all, the springboard, the chop saw, the single buck, the log rolling, the boom running. But my favorite has to be the Hot Saw. There are two competitors, each with a souped-up, bad-ass chainsaw, the object being to cut three discs from a big ol' log the fastest. But there's a catch... the discs have to be thin, all three can't take more than six inches of wood from the log. It's a gripping contest, head-to-head lumberjack action, with the excitement of dangerously powerful chainsaws thrown in the mix. That's man stuff happening right there.
   I thank God for ESPN2 and lazy Sunday afternoons...

No comments:

Post a Comment