Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Should Be On the Food Network

As my enforced vacation from corporate monkey-spank - uh... I mean regular work - continues, I'm finding ways to economize. For instance, rather than throw away the PennySaver that comes each week, I'm reading it. I don't want a puppy, or a roommate, or handyman work done so it's kind of a bust, but you never know when you might find something useful. I'm also reading the flyers from economy-minded grocery stores, looking for the bargains. For instance, did you know that at the King Ranch Supermarket ('un supermercado mejor') you could get 10 rolls of paper towels for $5? At those prices I can start being messy again. They have no web site I can find, because they're passing the savings on to me. And at SuperKing Markets you can get five cucumbers for 99 cents - compare that with $1.50 for one cucumber at Whole Paycheck, and you can see what I'm talking about.
    Anyway...why I should be on the Food Network. I'm creating my own cheap meals, and they're tasty and nutritious. For instance, for breakfast today I had yogurt. With a twist.
   Try this: Greek-style yogurt (the thick kind), a handful of walnuts, blueberries or dried cherries (or both, go crazy), a little bit of sugar, a little bit of cinnamon. Mix everything together and you have a great-tasting meal that's also good for you. Seriously. My doctor would fall over dead if he saw me stirring that up.
   And, man, you should see what I can do with Beefaroni...

1 comment:

  1. Dude, are you spying on me? I eat Greek style yogurt with Splenda, pomegranate seeds and cashews (or almonds) every night for my late night snack. Trader Joe's brand Greek style (non-fat, no sugar added) yogurt rocks.

    ReplyDelete